Costa Rica Kimura Trap System 7 Day Retreat
April 9th - 16th in Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Early Bird Special - 27% Off + Kimura Trap System Online Course ($197 value) Free!
Scroll down to read all about the schedule, activities, reviews, and our frequently asked questions.
Costa Rica BJJ Retreat:
April 9 - 16, 2021
Instructor: David Avellan
Co-Founder of FFA, BJJ Black Belt, ADCC World Championships 5xVeteran and 2009 Bronze Medalist, BodogFIGHT of the Night Winner, Creator of the World Famous Kimura Trap System
David Avellan is a world renown martial artist and has been the coach to many stars such as BMF UFC Champion Jorge "Gamebred" Masvidal, Bellator Champs Phil Davis and Michael Chandler, OneFC Champion Brandon Vera, IBJJF World Champs Keenan Cornelius & DJ Jackson, and many more. They all have gotten the chance to train one-on-one with David and have made huge leaps on their game as a result.
Now, you will get the chance to do the same! This retreat is 7 days long, with a 3 hour training session each day, for a total of15 hours of training. You will go over a TON of techniques from David's arsenal, such as the Kimura Trap System.
It is friendly for all ages, sizes, and experience levels. Whether you are a new white belt, or a 3rd degree black belt, you WILL learn powerful new details to take your technique to the next level.
What You Are Going To Learn:
- Kimura Mastery - Whether you are a white belt or a black belt - YOU WILL LEARN SOMETHING NEW about the Kimura. David has had the honor of training with UFC World Champions, ADCC World Champions, and many BJJ Black belts that were stunned with how much they learned from this seminar.
- Take Down Counters - Wrestlers can be the bane of a BJJ fighters existence. The Kimura Trap System has MANY counters to all forms of shots, back takes, and cage take downs. When you master KTS, you will find no one will want to shoot on you anymore for fear of the Kimura Trap. Add the Switch Series, which is a classic wrestling reversal that can be used in the same situations as Kimuras (especially when you can't make the grip), and the Front Headlock Series - you will have tons of powerful options to counter take downs.
- Submission Hunters - The Kimura Trap System has one inevitable conclusion - submission. Whether it is a Kimura, arm bar, triangle choke, rear naked choke, leg lock, wrist lock, omo plata, or crucifix - you will find a way to get your opponent tapping out. The Back Trap System is another powerful finishing system against the turtle position, along with the Front Headlock Series, giving you many ways of finishing.
- Transition Skills - The Kimura Trap System is a controlled transition, where you know everything that will happen 3-5 steps ahead of your opponent. There are so many ways to start it, that it will give your transition game a whole new level. Likewise, the Back Trap System, Front Headlock Series, and the Switch Series follow simple progressions that you can count on.
- Game Planning - When starting out with the martial arts, it can be hard to know what strategy to execute, or even how to develop such a strategy. David's technique series are fully fleshed out game plans that requires no thinking - just follow the steps to the finish.
- All Ages, Genders, And Body Types - The great thing about the systems being taught is that it is not tailor made for one specific body type. They can work for you whether you are long and tall, short and stocky, flexible or stiff, young or experienced.
Training in a Tropical Paradise
We will be on the west coast of Costa Rica in Tamarindo. Everything you need to enjoy a dream vacation is at your finger tips. We will be staying in a luxurious boutique hotel together that has a pool and is just a few minutes away from the beach (.5 mile) and all sorts of bars and restaurants (.25 miles). Oh, and of course our training facility is just a short walk away (.4 miles). :)
Besides training, you will have a lot of activities to keep you entertained. Surfing, paddle boarding, spear fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, cruises, horseback riding, cruising in ATVs, hiking, white water rafting, zip lining, sky diving...have we covered enough yet? :) And yes, you will have plenty of time to enjoy them between training sessions.
You will need a lot of energy to fuel you, so we will provide a complimentary catered breakfast in your room every day. For lunch and dinner, you will have your be able to choose from a wide variety of restaurants in town with all sorts of cuisines. There should be something for everyone to enjoy.
Saturday, 4/10/2021 through Thursday, 4/15/2021
"I just finished the seminar with Master Avellan - Incredible! I have been to numerous seminars in the past 7-8 years with Master Chim. I have been to seminars with Marcello Garcia, Jeff Glover, a bunch of them. Not to say they are no good, but this is hands down, the best seminar I have ever been to."
Rock Starr - BJJ Purple Belt
“Amazing seminar! Basically, a game changer. If you are having trouble finishing the kimura, trouble setting up the kimura, or having trouble defending takedowns, this is the system that will improve your game and have you catching kimuras from all different angles, have you defending takedowns, taking people’s back and finishing with a one arm choke.”
Patrick Kelly - BJJ Black Belt Instructor
I just finished the David Avellan seminar – awesome seminar! The Kimura Trap is the new evolution of Jiu Jitsu. It is awesome and I can’t wait to start using it in competition…Jiu Jitsu is always changing – this is definitely the next step. Anybody who is not doing this is going to be back a whole notch so I highly recommend David Avellan’s Kimura Trap. Check it out!”
Jeff Cressman - BJJ Brown Belt Instructor
Early Bird Special Offer:
David Avellan's unique systems of submission grappling have seen him achieve at the highest levels including Bronze at the prestigious ADCC Grappling Competition.
April 9tht to 16th, 2020 is your chance to learn the secrets of The Kimura Trap System, a system that has seen Avellan compete at the elite level for over a decade.
We offer two packages: training only, and lodging and training. Both packages include:
Choose you own lodging in Tamarindo Costa Rica
Training and Lodging
Stay in one our hotels, and enjoy hanging out where all the action is
Frequently Asked Questions:
The registration includes your training with David (5 three hour training sessions), 6 nights lodging, airport transfers, and daily breakfast.
What activities can I do?
Some of the more popular activities are surfing, paddle boarding, snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing, spear fishing, catamaran cruising, horse back riding, ATV rides, hiking, zip lining, white water rafting, volcano tours, and water fall rappelling. The costs for these activities vary of course, but the average is around $85.
Will I be able to workout on my own?
Yes! Hero Academy has plenty of fitness classes available, and there are gyms available in town as well.
I'm new to the martial arts. Should I join?
Absolutely! This retreat is friendly for all experience levels. David has taught young children just getting started in the martial arts up to UFC champions. There is something to learn for every one!
How much does it cost?
Attendance for the entire 7 day retreat is $1729 ($1249 with special). That gives you access to 5 three hour training sessions. That is a total of 15 hours!
This includes lodging, breakfast, airport transfers, training, and online access to all of the training videos.
Your flight, meals, transportation outside the covered scenarios, and any activities you take part in are additional charges.
If you only want to do the training only package, which only covers training fees, it is $799($559 with special).
Do you offer group discounts?
Yes. If 3-4 students enroll together, you will get 10% off your registration. A group of 5+ will get a 15% discount.
How many spots are available?
We are accepting 20students to the retreat.
What are the rules for staying at the house?
If you decide to stay with David, there are several rules that need to be followed:
1. With David's girlfriend being a psychiatrist with a specialty on substance abuse, there is no drug use allowed in the house, including marijuana. While drinking alcohol socially is fine, no one should be getting wasted or black out drunk and causing problems.
2. You are free to use the equipment provided in the house, but please respect them and treat them well. Equipment such as the Normatec Compression Sleeves, Massage Chair, rollers, Massage Gun, or other tools that make physical contact should only be used after having taken a shower and being fully clothed.
3. We don't want someone hogging up one tool for themselves, so we will limit use to 30 minutes at a time so that everyone can enjoy them. A sign-in sheet will be provided to log this.
4. The South Wing of the house, where the master bedroom resides, is off limits to guests. Unless you wish to see his bed, there is nothing to see of interest. :)
5. The rest of the house (guest bed rooms, living room, breakfast nook, laundry, garage, kitchen, dining room, and back yard) are all available for you to enjoy. Anything you use please put back where you found it in the same condition.
6. You are not allowed to have friends stay with you in the house that aren't registered guests of the camp. Aka, no calling in escorts or anything crazy like that, lol.
We will have a more detailed list available for registrants, but to summarize, this isn't a party house. If you are choosing to stay with David, it is to maximize your learning experience in the martial arts, pick his brain, and relax.
If you are looking to go crazy in Las Vegas and reenact the Hang Over (which is totally fine), staying at David's house will not work for you. You would be better off staying in a Casino off the strip, and join us for training between festivities.
Can I pay online or by phone?
Of course! You can pay online by using any of the big orange "Register" buttons and putting your info there.
You can also call us at 305-209-2097 to pay by phone. If we don't answer, please leave a voicemail and we will return your call.
What should I wear?
This will be a No Gi (kimono) training retreat, so you can come in any exercise attire you feel comfortable with. We recommend bringing rash guards, board shorts, or spats to training, along with any safety gear such as mouth pieces or knee pads.
Practice proper mat hygiene and make sure you shower, clip your nails, and no shoes on the mat (unless they are wrestling shoes).
What's NOT included?
If you choose the lodging package, your flight to Costa Rica, any activities you choose to take part in, and meals other than breakfast.
If you choose the training only package, lodging, airport transfers, any activities you choose to take part in, and meals.
When will I have time for activities?
Everyday! We do our training sessions from 9-10:30am and 7-8:30pm, leaving you a window of 8.5 hours to enjoy Costa Rica. Some activities might require too much time that may require you to miss a training session. We are fine with you doing that, but if you didn't want to miss a session, we recommend scheduling them before or after the training days, such as on check in or check out days.
Can I take Private Lessons with David?
Of course! Once you register, we can coordinate with you so you book time with him.
What ages can join the retreat?
This retreat is friendly to all ages, sizes, and genders that are serious about taking their game to the next level. :)
However, minors would have to be accompanied an adult.
What if I want to stay shorter or longer?
The training is 5 days long, from April 10-15th You are not required to train in every session. Some people may wish to skip a day to enjoy Costa Rica more. It's your experience, so you can choose how you wish to enjoy it.
If you want to stay longer, that is fine too. :)
What if my partner doesn't train?
No problem! If you choose the lodging package, there will be an additional charge of $500 to bring a non-training partner along to share a room.
If you choose the training only packaage, you will be responsible for your own lodging and transportation, you are welcome to bring as many people with you as you want. In that case we are only charging for training, so you are welcome to bring guests to enjoy Costa Rica.
Where should I stay?
The standard package entitles you to stay at our hotel of choice, the Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel, so you won't need to find a place to book.
If you choose the training only package, there are other hotels nearby that you can choose as well.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept Credit Card and PayPal. If you need to make another payment arrangement, please email email@example.com.
What about COVID-19?
This area of Costa Rica has not had many cases. However, the Costa Rican government is requiring special insurance that costs 10-15 dollars per day. We will help you with all of this.
If COVID causes things to go sideways and we are forced to cancel the camp, we will give a full refund. Otherwise, the deposit is non-refundable but can used toward a future camp if you have to cancel.
My question isn't answered here.
Then it probably wasn't frequently asked, and technically you didn't ask a question. lol!
Jokes aside, if you need help just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will answer it.
Do you want to have a powerful submission you can count on from every position possible in combat, and be many moves ahead of your opponent in any transition?
Join us for the Costa Rica Kimura Trap System Retreat and become a submission hunter and transition master while having a blast enjoying a natural paradise!